X

• Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge

A Personal Thank You and more.......

Hello,

I've been FEDCON GmbH's Master of Ceremonies for 12 years now and would like to post some sort of appreciation at the quality of people I have met at our events over the past years and especially at FEDCON XVII.

Fandom has evolved very little over the 22 years I have been a member of any convention organization. Having served for various groups here in the U.S., fans have remained loyal to their causes and interests with the same degree of infactuation as they had during the first STAR TREK conventions in the 70's.

Fandom continues to remain strong as long as there is science fiction, and even if some apocalyptic catastrophe destroys our resources for sci-fi, fandom will always find a way to emerge from that, stronger than ever.

Let me tell you a little bit about this year's event. FC17 was one of our most successful conventions in FEDCON history. We are still evaluating if it was as big as our past shows with Shatner or Nimoy. If not, it's pretty damn close.

FC17 hosted participants from 26 countries. 26 COUNTRIES. No other event in Europe and probably in the U.S. has such a rainbow of attendees. We are proud of that and you should be proud also. Even though FEDCON was full this year, having completely sold out on Saturday (Samstag), it did not feel uncomfortable. Fans were everywhere in the Maritim Hotel, enjoying all that it and Fedcon had to offer. It was pretty freakin' cool! Costumes of all sorts were seen in the hallways and in even outside on the grounds of the hotel. If you weren't bumping into Colonial Raptor pilots, you were slamming into Emperial Stormtroopers (which I wouldn't do again if I were you). We even had an All Terrain Armored Transport vehicle (AT-AT) stomping thru the hallways. WOW!

FEDCON is the best Europe has and if you're used to signing shows, you know that your best value for your money was at FC. We are very proud at what we produce every year but I want you to understand that it is neither easy or satisfying for all. We experience bumps in the road every year and there will always be a fan who will actively seek out something to complain about and walk away angry, no matter how much we try to make it up to them. It's life. We can't make EVERYONE happy but those that are not are in a club all by themselves.

I guess the most incredible thing that I had experienced was the opinion of the fans after Patrick Stewart canceled. We received "almost" no complaints from our attendees on that news. It was if they didn't really cared because the guest list was incredible enough. The fans wanted to be at FEDCON and if Patrick couldn't make it this year, "Oh well". That stunned us. About the actors we DID have. Mary was difficult to obtain but once we got her signed, what a pleasure she ended up being. Mary was awesome. Our other actors were as equally awesome and during our farewell dinner on Sunday night, they loosened up to share to us what an incredible time they had at this event. Their honesty and openness was displayed to the staff during that time and they will help us convince others to come to Germany. All of our actors this year were as gracious as our actors from FC16 and we are proud.

The fans in Europe are both intelligent, gracious, beautiful, and cool. Never would you see such a party atmosphere at cons in the States. The ratio of drinkers to non-drinkers in Europe is higher than the States also. I don't know if that is a good thing but I do surmise that there are more drinkers overseas than there are in my country. Smokers as well. America is practically a non-smoking country. For good reasons of course. Some of the questions being asked the actors are fantastic except for those few ***** questions that seem to crawl out from under the rocks. There's always a strange person or question asked at every Fedcon and the fans actually find it as enjoyable as the answer to come soon after. Fans are special. Fans are funny.

My personal experiences with both fan and actor is pretty interesting. Some things I could never share with you but I hope to write a book someday because I have more stories about conventions, actors and fans that could fill a library. I prefer to keep most of my experiences private until I think it is appropriate to release them and would not cause harm amongst those I have spent time with. You may have to wait another 20 years.

Our plans for FC18 started before FC17 but we hope to top this year's event just as we had hoped to top FC16. I guess we did but not without the help of old friends and new ones who had came to us for the very first time. All GOLD TICKETS for next year's event is sold out which is an amazing thing. There are plenty of other priced tickets available but I would work fast to obtain them if you have not already. Looks like we're headed for another full event. As for actors, I mentioned onstage about my experience with a certain actress but nothing is guaranteed until I have it in writing. The list of who the fans want to see is extensive and it takes a lot of our time to seek out those actors. It's not as easy as some would have you believe. It's tiresome and frustrating but we wouldn't be doing it if we didn't like it now would we?

Overall, FEDCON's attendees deserve to be entertained. They contribute a lot of hard earned cash to spend time with us and our expenses are mind-blowing but somehow we seem to come out on top. As far as I am concerned, I am paid only for my air fare and my hotel and a few meals. That is all I have asked for because I do not consider myself a professional. I have a great home and a wonderful life here in Orlando, Florida and a long overseas flight to Europe would be the last of my interests but it is the faces of the fans that gets me out of the pool or ocean, out of the lines at Disney and come to you! I do this for fun and I try to entertain and make happy those that have made me just as happy by seeing the smiles on their faces. Especially the children. <yum yum> That's my payment. My reward. Fans are very special people and the world looks to us for the continuation of their technological and creative future. I look to you for the continuation of my fun!

Thank you Sci-Fi Channel and all of you for allowing me to speak my piece here.

Marc B. Lee
    Master of Ceremonies
    American Business Manager
    FEDCON GmbH
    Zuletzt geändert von FedconMC; 05.05.2008, 13:36.
    MARC B. LEE
    FEDCON / RINGCON MC
    www.marcblee.org
    www.fedcon.de

I thank YOU for this Words and you are the best MC for Fedcon
    Is Fedcon really so specially? In USA is not the same? I can't believe that...
    Ich habe es satt, die Menschen zu durchschauen. Es ist so leicht, und es führt zu nichts. Elias Canetti
    Take it easy, but take it. Nothing Comes to you, when you waite to long.

Kommentar

Zitat von Gabriela Beitrag anzeigen
      I thank YOU for this Words and you are the best MC for Fedcon
      Is Fedcon really so specially? In USA is not the same? I can't believe that...
      Thanks Gabriela but I gave you no reason NOT to believe me. I do not lie and I have been doing this for 22 years and have worked and attended hundreds of conventions so what is it that I have to do for you to believe my words?
      MARC B. LEE
      FEDCON / RINGCON MC
      www.marcblee.org
      www.fedcon.de

Kommentar

I can't speak for Gabriela but I would be interested to hear how US Cons are diffrent from Europe ones

I always wanted to attend to fedcon maybe I will make it next year, but Its quite a Trip from Switzerland up to Bonn... So naturally there are some many monetary considerations to do... Otherwise I would have booked already to come next April... I hope I gonna make it in the next few years...

Kommentar

Hey, thanks for the kind words! I can only give these back to you. I first saw you on a Ring*Con 2006 DVD and I was like: Sheesh now that is one hell of a host! I liked your moderating style and was pretty surprised that your live performance at FedCon 16 was even better.

Switching from the serious, gentle guy to someone who's really full of fun (especially on the parties), you're really entertaining all of us. And all this despite that fact that you claim not to be a professional. Let's put it that way: If you're not professional, who is?

Imho you even make little technical glitches a lot of fun for the audience, especially this year during the opening ceremony. Played hide & seek with Robert Vogel?

For your information, since you were talking about guest actors: The inhabitants of this forum here have also put up a wish list, separate from the one you'll already know from the OSTFC boards. In case it is of any help to you evaluating who's wanted, here's a link: http://www.scifi-forum.de/news-ank-n...arw-nsche.html
          Have you seen my force lance? Star Wars: The New Era | Scifi-Space.net
          "Screams of a billion murdered stars give lie to the night's peace, while we cling in desperation to the few fragile spinning stones we call worlds"
          Wayfinder First Order Hasturi aka "The Mad Perseid" 217 AFC

Kommentar

marc, you are a REAL Master of Ceremonies and you will always be
            Die Tür ist immer in beide Richtungen offen

Kommentar

Marc, thanks for the surprising but nice little info from you about your view of FedCon and... us.
              The thing about what Gabriela meant is more of a "Germany Trek in comparison to the USA Trek must be not that big and crazy"-thinking.

But FC17 was really great! Beside the panels I also enjoyed the little upcoming movies session with you and Tom!
              And for me the best was the double panel of B5! What was your favorite?
              Tu erst das Notwendige, dann das Mögliche, und plötzlich schaffst du das Unmögliche. (Franz von Assisi; 1181 od. 82 - 1226)

Kommentar

Zitat von Valen Beitrag anzeigen
                Marc, thanks for the surprising but nice little info from you about your view of FedCon and... us.
                The thing about what Gabriela meant is more of a "Germany Trek in comparison to the USA Trek must be not that big and crazy"-thinking.

But FC17 was really great! Beside the panels I also enjoyed the little upcoming movies session with you and Tom!
                And for me the best was the double panel of B5! What was your favorite?
                Thanks a lot folks. It means a lot to me to hear your words. As for Gabriela's request, I always tell people to expereince a U.S. con before they pass judgement. 100% of the people that have has always agreed with me in the end. It's always best to see things with one's own eyes.

DH: Thanks dude. I try hard at times and your words mean a lot as well.

Lola: Lo-lo-lo-lo- Lo-la! Thank you.
                MARC B. LEE
                FEDCON / RINGCON MC
                www.marcblee.org
                www.fedcon.de

Kommentar

Fedcon 18 Web Site Now Active And Ready For Your Visit.
                  MARC B. LEE
                  FEDCON / RINGCON MC
                  www.marcblee.org
                  www.fedcon.de

Kommentar

My weird mind.

e'Guide | Der Entertainment-Guide für Fernsehen, Film und mehr - Mit eigenem PDF-Magazin
                    MARC B. LEE
                    FEDCON / RINGCON MC
                    www.marcblee.org
                    www.fedcon.de

Kommentar

Thanks for the information. Quite an interesting interview. I had noticed a couple of not so nice situations with Julie Caitlin Brown during this FedCon, but I hadn't thought that the agent problem was that common. I know a couple of webmasters of the Andromeda actors (Steve Bacic and Gordon Michael Woolvett for instance) and I know that they share a quite good relation. I've met them during FedCon personally already and noticed them as very friendly beings and fans themselves.
                      But I guess it's a little different once money is involved, since the webmasters only take care about public relations, not about organizing the attendance of their protégées at conventions or auditions.
                      What puzzles me a little bit however is the pure existence of "fan agents", as you describe them. I mean - if I was an actor and I decided to get myself an agent, I would do that in order to have access to a professional organizer with the respective connections to get me to good auditions or events. How would one expect that a fan has the same expertise as an industry professional?

Anyways - my respect that you put so many efforts into what you declare as "just a hobby" besides leading a company yourself. I'm working at an advertising agency and already my time is rare. It puzzles me how you manage to do all this.
                      But let me ask you a question: You say that you're not an entertainment professional. If you're not, who is? Dirk had a very good eye when approaching you
                      Have you seen my force lance? Star Wars: The New Era | Scifi-Space.net
                      "Screams of a billion murdered stars give lie to the night's peace, while we cling in desperation to the few fragile spinning stones we call worlds"
                      Wayfinder First Order Hasturi aka "The Mad Perseid" 217 AFC

Kommentar

Zitat von Darth.Hunter Beitrag anzeigen
                        Thanks for the information. Quite an interesting interview. I had noticed a couple of not so nice situations with Julie Caitlin Brown during this FedCon, but I hadn't thought that the agent problem was that common.
                        I didn't mention any names in my interview.

What puzzles me a little bit however is the pure existence of "fan agents", as you describe them. How would one expect that a fan has the same expertise as an industry professional?
                        Exactly!

It puzzles me how you manage to do all this.
                        Me too.

But let me ask you a question: You say that you're not an entertainment professional. If you're not, who is? Dirk had a very good eye when approaching you
                        Thanks! I think he was drunk!!!
                        MARC B. LEE
                        FEDCON / RINGCON MC
                        www.marcblee.org
                        www.fedcon.de

Kommentar

Zitat von FedconMC Beitrag anzeigen
                          Thanks Gabriela but I gave you no reason NOT to believe me. I do not lie and I have been doing this for 22 years and have worked and attended hundreds of conventions so what is it that I have to do for you to believe my words?
                          i know that you don't lie and i belive you. I have never learn english and i believe, i have say mistakes... I believe you, but i don't understand, why its not the same in europe and in US, we are all Fans from Sci-Fi... or not? The hope for the world is the same... isn't it?

Zitat von Robert Johnson Beitrag anzeigen
                          I can't speak for Gabriela but I would be interested to hear how US Cons are diffrent from Europe ones
                          Aber du chönntisch mis dumme änglischgschafel gschid übersetze ... grins...

I always wanted to attend to fedcon maybe I will make it next year, but Its quite a Trip from Switzerland up to Bonn... So naturally there are some many monetary considerations to do... Otherwise I would have booked already to come next April... I hope I gonna make it in the next few years...
                          denn muesch aber gli bstelle, es het nümm vill Wucheänd-tickets und im Maritim gits kei Zimmer meh...

Zitat von Valen Beitrag anzeigen
                          Danke für die gescheite Übersetzung... ich kann kein englisch und habs nie gelernt, alles was ich kann, hab ich vom zuhören und drauflosschwafeln... Danke nochmals
                          Ich habe es satt, die Menschen zu durchschauen. Es ist so leicht, und es führt zu nichts. Elias Canetti
                          Take it easy, but take it. Nothing Comes to you, when you waite to long.

Kommentar

Congratulations Germany!!!!!!!!!!!

Going To The Finals!!!!!!!

I Watched The Game Here In The U.s.

Rock On Germany!!!
                            MARC B. LEE
                            FEDCON / RINGCON MC
                            www.marcblee.org
                            www.fedcon.de

Kommentar

OMG, there are really people in the US, who are interested in european football Now you really destroyed my world view *SCNR*

Das älteste deutsche Stargate-Rollenspiel auf www.stargate-universe.de
                              "Aber Josua sprach zu den zwei Männern, die das Land ausgekundschaftet hatten: Geht in das Haus der Hure und führt das Weib von dort heraus mit allem, was sie hat, wie ihr versprochen habt."

Kommentar

Lädt...
                              X