Einklappen
X

• Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge

Season 2 DVD

Die ersten Leute haben jetzt die RC1 Version bekommen.
    I have only had time to view one episode this evening due to
    a) a server going down at work
    b) Buffy and Angle air on Thursday nights back to back in the UK.

Lets get the bad news out of the way first:

Still no groove on the slip case to make getting the pack out easier;

The wrong title sequence has been used for points of departure
    (for those of you who do not know what I mean don't ask there is a spoiler involved);

Oh and the transfer....

For those of you who were hoping for a better quality transfer from Season 1 are going to be disappointed. There were lots of scratches on the episode, even a vertical and horizontal line showing up on two occasions. The dreaded grain factor is still there, however it seems to fluctuate between scenes. I cannot decide if it is on a par with the later episodes of season 1 or not. Hopefully it will improve latter in the season.

I must point out that I thought that the later episodes of season 1 looked very good on my recently purchased 36” widescreen (PAL discs) so I am wondering if it down to dodgy NTSC mastering.

I did notice while skimming through the special features (oh no mention of the gag reel anywhere by the way although I did not spend much time searching) clips of the show appeared in non anamorphic mode and I have to say they looked very crisp and clear?

Sound on the other hand is up to the standard of the first set ie quite good, even more pleasant was the fact that during the special intro by JMS and various cast and crew members the stereo track in pro logic the music was very active on the rear speakers, a nice touch.

And for any of those who have not seen Divided Loyalties DO NOT watch the intro on disc one as it contains a spoiler.

On the pleasant side I did not think Mir Furlan, Andrea Thompson or Peter Jurasik were taking part in giving interviews so I was surprised to see this. I should really pay more attention on what is going on in the various threads.

Oh and one more gripe, and this may down to my set up or the discs have not been properly flagged, there seems to be no auto widescreen switching. I currently have my dvd player connected via component video, on the weekend I will try an RGB scart connection to see if it makes any difference. Oh and I don’t like the new menu the first season was far more superior.
    Warner war anscheinend blöd genug in der ersten Folge Delenn's neues Aussehen in der Titel-Sequenz zu zeigen, schöner Spoiler für alle, die die 2. STaffel noch nicht kennen....
    Kurdy: All right now, you're gonna do this calm like we planned, right?
    Jeremiah: Yeah, calm's my middle name.
    Kurdy: Too bad your last name is "Before-The-Storm".

Dann bin ich ja mal auf unsere Fassung gespannt.
    Wir bekommen bestimmt andere Fehler und Peinlichkeiten

"Willkommen auf dem Föderationsraumschiff SS Arschritze"

John Crichton, Farscape

Kommentar

So mal ein etwas positiveres Review

...The packaging for the set is quite nice, and is the same as the season 1 packagine, except for the updated graphics. I love the book-style DVD case. Technically, one of the ships on the cover art is upside down, but since there's really no upside down in space, I guess it's not a big deal.

...This time around, we're given three commentaries: Two by JMS (For the episodes "The Coming of Shadows" and the season finale "The Fall of Night"), and one featuring cast members Claudia Christian (Susan Ivanova), Bruce Boxleitner (John Sheridan) and Jerry Doyle (Michael Garibaldi) (for the episode "Geometry of Shadows".

JMS' commentaries are packed full of information. Even if you've scoured every page of the Lurker's Guide for trivia, JMS manages to dish out stuff you've probably never heard before (which, given the vast amount of information that's in the Lurker's Guide, is an amazing feat).

The cast commentary, on the other hand, is quite a bit different, but still entertaining. While JMS' commentary focuses on the story, effects and general progression of the production of an episode, the cast commentary is just a fun discussion between three friends. You can tell immediately that Bruce, Jerry and Claudia are very comfortable with each other, and enjoyed working on the show. As soon as the commentary starts, so do the laughs. They have a good time, while still managing to tell some good behind-the-scenes stories. And they mention more than once how lucky they were to be working on such a great show.

The episodes themselves were remastered from the original widescreen master copies, and given a new Dolby 5.1 sound mix.

You can also view the original promo video for each episode. These were often quite corny, thanks to the melodramatic voiceover, and really not that great. Still, the completist will be glad they're included.

Since the CGI scenes were never rendered in widescreen, they again had to be cropped to match the aspect ratio of the live action scenes. This really isn't a big deal, since the CGI shots were composed with widescreen in mind, and most of the action takes place center-screen. Most of what gets chopped off is empty space.

The visual quality of the episodes varies from OK to great. Since B5 was filmed on 35mm film stock, filim grain is very obvious, and something that just can't be helped. Though some scenes are grainier than others, probably because certain scenes (mostly live-action scenes that contain some CGI) were enlarged and cropped for widescreen format.

The audio is excellent. Lots of range and good use of surround sound.

Aside from the commentaries, there are a few more extras. The biggest extras are two documentaries filmed specifically for the DVDs.

The first documentary is "Building Babylon: Blueprint of an Episode". This featurette walks through the production of an average epsidoe of Babylon 5, and features interviews with producers, directors cast and crew members. It's very thorough, and contains a lot of good info.

The second documentary is more promotional in nature, but still quite informative. "Shadows and Dreams: Honors of Babylon" is a retrospective collection of interviews that focus on Babylon 5's Hugo award win and nominations.

Other features include a rather extensive sections titled "Tech Files", "Personnel Files" and "Data Files". They're well produced (The "Personnel Files" are even read by the original actress who supplied the voice for the computers on Bayblon 5), but most of the info could be found in the Lurker's Guide or elsewhere on the web. Still nice to have them on disc.

Finally, there's a nice interactive Babylon 5 timeline that covers major events in the B5 universe from the 1950's to 2259 (the date of Season 2).

Most of the product descriptions for this set (including the write-up on Amazon.com) lists a "Gag Reel" as one of the features. Unless it's a very well hidden easter egg, I have yet to find it. I'm beginning to think it was a mistake in the write-up. The only existing gag-reel I've seen for B5 was bootlegged blooper reels from all 5 seasons. I can't imagine these would be included on the DVDs, mainly because the quality of the tapes is VERY poor. Still, it would be nice to have them, as many of the outtakes are hilarious....

Kommentar

Derjenige, der die Menüs zu verantworten hat, hätte vielleicht etwas mehr als einen Crashkurs in Photoshop machen sollen

[up=1859]1051947670.jpg[/up]
        [up=1859]1051947729.jpg[/up]
        [up=1859]1051947616.jpg[/up]

Kommentar

Die Qualität wird schon halbwegs passen! Zu hoffen bleibt hauptsächlich, dass am Preis ned rumgeschraubt wird.
          Seid gegrüßt Programme!

Kommentar

Hmm naja das Menü sieht nicht so toll aus wie bei Season 1. Aber warten wirs mal ab.

@Tron
            Och die dürfen den Preis ruhig noch nach unten nehmen. Nur erhöhen sollten sie ihn net.
            Sorans Fußballblog - Einblicke in die Welt des Fußballs - Spielberichte, Fotos und mehr. :)
            Mein Videokanal - Supportvideos vom Fußball
            Fanprojekt VfB 1906 Sangerhausen
            Ein Hirntumor namens Walter

Kommentar

Also falls der Preis der gleiche bleiben sollte, dann werde ich mir die Collection trotz bescheiden wirkender Menus auf alle Fälle zulegen, daran besteht kein zweifel.
              “Are these things really better than the things I already have? Or am I just trained to be dissatisfied with what I have now?”― Chuck Palahniuk, Lullaby
              They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken - Bobby Sands
              Christianity makes everyone have this mentality that escapism is a bad thing. You know "Don't run away from the real world - deal with it." Why ? Why should you have to suffer? - Marilyn Manson

Kommentar

Original geschrieben von NicolasHazen
                Also falls der Preis der gleiche bleiben sollte, dann werde ich mir die Collection trotz bescheiden wirkender Menus auf alle Fälle zulegen, daran besteht kein zweifel.
                jo das steht mir auch absolut fest, jedoch könnte sich warner besonders in anbetracht der hervoragenden verkaufszahlen mal etwas mehr mühe geben
                naja immerhin noch 3 boxen, bei denen sie buße tuen können

Kommentar

Das Menü sieht genauso schlecht aus wie das der ersten Box, aber mal sehen ob es wieder animiert ist.
                  Hauptsache man schnell drinn navigieren.

"Willkommen auf dem Föderationsraumschiff SS Arschritze"

John Crichton, Farscape

Kommentar

Also bei EMP ist die Season 2 Box für 10 Euro mehr alks die erst drin, was allerdings immer noch einen Preis bedeutet, der bei 50 % der Größenordnung der ST Boxen liegt.
                    “Are these things really better than the things I already have? Or am I just trained to be dissatisfied with what I have now?”― Chuck Palahniuk, Lullaby
                    They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken - Bobby Sands
                    Christianity makes everyone have this mentality that escapism is a bad thing. You know "Don't run away from the real world - deal with it." Why ? Why should you have to suffer? - Marilyn Manson

Kommentar

Original geschrieben von NicolasHazen
                      Also bei EMP ist die Season 2 Box für 10 Euro mehr alks die erst drin, was allerdings immer noch einen Preis bedeutet, der bei 50 % der Größenordnung der ST Boxen liegt.
                      Was interessiert mich der Preis der StarTrek Boxen? ... hat mich interessiert als die rauskamen und als ich's dann gesehen hab ist mir ganz schlecht geworden *jammer*.

Schaumer mal wasses im Endeffekt in den Läden kosten tut. Hab die erste für 37 Euronen rum bekömmt.
                      Seid gegrüßt Programme!

Kommentar

Hab für die erste für 25 bekommen

Der Preis ist genial, daß er von Staffel zu Staffel anzieht war doch klar und absolut verständlich.
                        Solange der Preis jedesmal nur um 10 Euro steigt, bin ich mehr als zufrieden
                        "ICH VERFLUCHE DICH, EBAY!"
                        Homer Simpson

Kommentar

So wie sicher jeder weiß, ist es ja nächsten Donnerstag schon so weit.
                          Sitzt ihr schon da und zittert?
                          Ich hoffe ma das Amazon schnell ist, so das die Box zum Wochenende da ist, nicht das ich wieder bis Montag oder Dienstag warten muss.
                          Sorans Fußballblog - Einblicke in die Welt des Fußballs - Spielberichte, Fotos und mehr. :)

Kommentar

hehe, ich kann mich noch gut an das warten auf die 1. staffel erinnern
                            zum abrschrecken/anheizen (je nach dem ) noch ein paar reviews:

Kommentar

Um ehrlich zu sein schreckt mich die Bildqualität weniger ab. Mir ist wichtig, das ich die Staffel habe. Und die Qualität ist immernoch tausend mal besser als Video oder es gar nicht zu sehen.

Und ich finde die 2. Season bietet auch an Specials mehr als die erste. Also ich freu mich.

Kommentar

Lädt...
                              X